How to Learn "Railroad Speak"?
Gary:One of my problems is that I lose sight of my role because I am too busy enjoying myself watching everyone else having fun running the trains. Then I forget to warn the crews of an incoming through train. Still, the crews have done a good job of coordinating on there on, and even though it may not be prototypical, it may be part of the fun the crews. We'll see how things go tomorrow.
-----------------------
That's the main thing is to have fun.

I forgot to mention my example is more for model operations then following the prototype to the letter and one we used on operation days of a club I was a member of years ago.Our train symbols was based on CRs.

We decided not to do written track warrants since it would be more simple to simulate repeating a track warrant-like my example.We did use a train symbol form that the Trainmaster of both yards would issue-the original went to the dispatcher and the engineer kept the carbon copy and would turn this in to the receiving yard Trainmaster.Having a Trainmaster freed the yardmaster to do his work since every inbound train had to be switched and locomotives serviced-there was a runner track to the engine terminal that was controlled by the engine terminal operator and the yardmaster.
The layout was and remains DC controlled..

Examples:

CITO (Cincinnati-Toledo)
Engine UP 5677
Engineer Gary.

If the train came from stagging and went to stagging it would be:

SLDI (St.Louis-Detroit)

Engine CR 3200

Engineer Ed.

The system was simple and easy to master.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!