Poll: What lights your fire?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
1- model building
22.58%
7 22.58%
2- scene building
32.26%
10 32.26%
3- loco/rolling stock building
9.68%
3 9.68%
4- operations
25.81%
8 25.81%
5- dioramas
0%
0 0%
6- collecting
3.23%
1 3.23%
7- has to be a full blown layout or I'm outta here
6.45%
2 6.45%
8- track planning
0%
0 0%
Total 31 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

What lights your fire
Maybe but my intent for the poll was for scene building on a layout T.

"What keeps me going back into the train room is taking the models I do build and putting them together to create a (hopefully Icon_lol ) realistic scene that I can THEN run a train thru."
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
I have stated before, so this is a repeat.....
I like building models.
Model Railroading, offers up the chance to do, and combine all the above.
Scene Building: ( model building of; components of the scene, and then putting them together in a realistic arrangement )
Locos, Rolling stock building: (model building of; <--------------- ).
Dioramas: ( model building of; trees, grass, weeds, rocks, streams, rivers, etc. and a bit of Scene Building )
-----------------------------------------
operations, collecting, track planning: all part of the process of Scene Building. Creating a realistic environment for the operation of the collected locos, and rolling stock. Collecting, though, can be simply for the sake of having, and need not be specifically for the hobby of model railroading. ( Big Grin I don't try to operate baseball cards Big Grin )

has to be a full blown layout or I'm outta here: Here, I have to get off, have a scotch or three, and wait for the next train. I like building models. The "Layout", therefore, becomes the "display case" for my models.

Big Grin Big Grin Nope I don't have a room big enough for a layout that could "operationally", include this: Eek 357 357

We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
I have to agree with Pete, the "model" in Model Railroading is what I create, not what I can buy out of the box from Walthers, Kato, Bachmann or Atlas. That includes anything that is ready-to-run or completely assembled. To me, creating buildings and other structures and creating scenery is challenging and what modeling is all about. I guess laying track is modeling as well, but it's a task that I don't particularly enjoy doing; although a necessary one for a train layout even if you don't run train. I guess what I'm saying is that the trains are there to enhance my models, rather than the other way around.

Scratchbuilding, scenery, kitbashing and kits are what I enjoy working on, and it that order. Wiring and electronics are OK, I've done that for the past sixty years so it doesn't present any challenges. Running trains is somewhere in the middle, with laying track and operations at the very bottom of my list of things I like to do.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
If you ever get a space big enough to operate the Enterprise please give me an invite Pete! 2285_
Mike

Beam me aboard , Scotty ! 357

T
To err is human, to blame it on somebody else shows management potential.
Scene building for me. Wasn't always so however. I did love track planning and think it is very important to support not just operation but also the scene building (unless it is a diorama). If the track plan (and quality of the trackwork [and control system!]) aren't up to snuff, then I would lose interest before the scene building got very far along. Every time I completed a section of my railroad I loved operating for awhile, but always get bored after some period of time. I would love to have an actual operating session with several visitors but that really has never happened. I designed for both continuous running and lots of switching, with two industrial areas served by yards which thru trains stop at. I only run the continuous route when my grandkids visit prefering to run a local from a yard to one of the industrail areas. However, if I do that once a month that's a lot. Some of you may remember a thread I had on my engine servicing area. I was out of work and had lots of time! But it was a blast coming up with the scenes and creating them. My only regret is not having the ability to fully create what I see in my minds eye. So when I run into a problem where my skills or knowledge prevent me from doing so, I lose interest completely for extended periods of time. In the thread I mentioned, the last thing I wrote about was a passenger station. When I could not get the parking lot to look the way I wanted, I abandoned it! Lately though I've been working on one of the industries and I'm quite enjoying it again. Kind of can't wait to start the next industry so scene building is most definately what is lighting my fire now!
"Tyson Rayles" wrote: If you ever get a space big enough to operate the Enterprise please give me an invite Pete! 2285_
"teejay" wrote : Beam me aboard , Scotty ! 357

OK it isn't "Enterprise", but it is a ship of class, USS Farragut NCC-1702 ( Enterprise class Heavy Cruiser ) with USS Kodiac NCC-6000. ( Kodiac class Battleship )    

Wink Big Grin "Station keeping - on Thrusters" - - - - in my living room !! Eek :mrgreen: Wink
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
So does this mean I'm not invited Pete? Eek
Mike

ezdays Wrote:I have to agree with Pete, the "model" in Model Railroading is what I create, not what I can buy out of the box from Walthers, Kato, Bachmann or Atlas. That includes anything that is ready-to-run or completely assembled. To me, creating buildings and other structures and creating scenery is challenging and what modeling is all about. I guess laying track is modeling as well, but it's a task that I don't particularly enjoy doing; although a necessary one for a train layout even if you don't run train. I guess what I'm saying is that the trains are there to enhance my models, rather than the other way around.

Scratchbuilding, scenery, kitbashing and kits are what I enjoy working on, and it that order. Wiring and electronics are OK, I've done that for the past sixty years so it doesn't present any challenges. Running trains is somewhere in the middle, with laying track and operations at the very bottom of my list of things I like to do.

Don,Don't be mislead..There's still some modeling to do with RTR cars and locomotives as examples:

Atlas Trainman,Athearn RTR and Bachmann locomotives needs details added like mu hoses,bells(if needed) radio antennas.Sound and DCC needs added if required by the modeler.

The freight cars needs the wheel face painted and the Athearn and Atlas RTR cars needs new couplers.

So,with the low to mid range RTR models the modeling is still there.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
Brakie Wrote:
ezdays Wrote:I have to agree with Pete, the "model" in Model Railroading is what I create, not what I can buy out of the box from Walthers, Kato, Bachmann or Atlas. That includes anything that is ready-to-run or completely assembled. To me, creating buildings and other structures and creating scenery is challenging and what modeling is all about. I guess laying track is modeling as well, but it's a task that I don't particularly enjoy doing; although a necessary one for a train layout even if you don't run train. I guess what I'm saying is that the trains are there to enhance my models, rather than the other way around.

Don,Don't be mislead..There's still some modeling to do with RTR cars and locomotives as examples:

Atlas Trainman,Athearn RTR and Bachmann locomotives needs details added like mu hoses,bells(if needed) radio antennas.Sound and DCC needs added if required by the modeler.

The freight cars needs the wheel face painted and the Athearn and Atlas RTR cars needs new couplers.

So,with the low to mid range RTR models the modeling is still there.

Good point, there's modeling in just about everything. Even a completed structure needs weathering and can be modified. I guess it boils down to creativity, and that's what I enjoy the most, crating something from a few pieces of plastic or a glob of plaster and a little paint and wash.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Tyson Rayles Wrote:So does this mean I'm not invited Pete? Eek

Icon_lol - - - Sad Transporter's down, you'll have to come in by shuttle. Wink Cheers
There are no rails in space. :o - - - - - but the Muppets indicated that there were "Pigs" in space. :? :oops: :? did they get there in "stock cars "? ...................... Nope Wink Tongue
Pete if you place any "stock" in what the Muppets say, I'm worried about ya ! Icon_lol
Mike

Tyson Rayles Wrote:Pete if you place any "stock" in what the Muppets say, I'm worried about ya ! Icon_lol
You just now realizing that?????????? 357 357
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
I'm slow Don, what can I say. Icon_lol
Mike

Icon_lol Icon_lol Icon_lol Icon_lol Icon_lol Icon_lol