Poll: Where would you like to hold our day trip for Big Blue members?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Jim Thorpe, Pa.
35.71%
5 35.71%
Steamtown, Scranton, Pa.
50.00%
7 50.00%
Strasburg, Pa.
14.29%
2 14.29%
Other (please specify in a separate post in this thread)
0%
0 0%
Total 14 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Day trip for Gauge members
Charlie B, lets see some pics. It might be cool to a gandy dancer for a day.
 My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew  
e-paw Wrote:Charlie B, lets see some pics. It might be cool to a gandy dancer for a day.
Putting in ties here is the old fashioned way most of the time, hard brutal work. Where I can get at them with the skid steer it is a lot easier, not so much digging by hand. I'll post some pictures and a how to on a thread sometime soon. I never give these things much thought, but I can see why this would be of interest to you guys. When I first started I was amazed at how things were done, (some of them were stupid). Now I take too much for granted.
Charlie
Only a week to go, with a tie vote. Eek Can we drum-up any more participants?
In my opinion, if the vote remains tied, Steve should be the one to make the final decision on our meeting place. Goldth

I'm going to see if we can get a few more respondents. Wink

Wayne
Looks like Steamtown is wining
Tom

Model Conrail

PM me to get a hold of me.
Ok since last week I have finally visited No 9 Mine and museum. I can give both insight to the main contenders now:

Steamtown - Excellent trip all around, I must say it is something worth doing over again. Spending 4 hours there was still not enough, I took a long walking tour by one of the guides and he brought the group back into the shops for an awesome look behind the scenes, definitely not something to pass up, especially if you're an out of towner and don't have anything like that around you anymore. Their collection of Steam trains is like.. well.. they never died off from the diesel era, the majority of the Steamers are being rebuilt though or on a display. There is a lot to see here.

Some key interests:
- Railroad history Display, with some memorabilia, steam parts for actual locomotives, full scale diesel engine, early era tools/equipment, how stuff worked
- The group tour, including the shops where they fix/repair/restore locos and cars
- The UP Big Boy sitting outside (unrestored) that thing is huge!!!

No. 9 Mine - The tour was great, had a lively guide and sweet 1600ft trolley ride into the mountain, it took around 45min and explained the details about coal mining back in the ole days. After the tour you were able to check out the museum. It probably took longer looking at everything in there than the tour did, there's a lot of artifacts/documents that were either donated or on loan.

All and all I would say taking a day trip to see either of the two I would pick Steamtown, there is so much more to see there than no 9 mine BUT I never took the train excursion, after I went to no 9 mine I went over to Jim Thorpe and they had a 4-6-2 stop by from another town and took off, I was thrilled. I asked about the excursion and it would last around an hour and a half, it is a forward hike through the Lehigh Gorge and driven backward to the station. (front what they told me)

I will have a thread up on the trip with some pics of no 9 mine soon Cheers
Tom

Model Conrail

Wherever we end up, I will be there. I have no strong preferences as to location - just need to know where I am heading a few days in advance.
Jess

President and Janitor of the Arenac & Southern RR
Only a couple of days 'til the end of voting, Eek although I think that all who are coming have already voted.
If we have any hope of seeing a good part of the place, we probably need to get there fairly early. I'd suggest meeting in the parking lot - anybody care to suggest a time?

Wayne
Should we post another vote???? Icon_lol Icon_lol

I would say around 9:00 or 9:30 ewhen it opens....

But I'm not going to argue if someone wants a later time Big Grin Big Grin
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???
Park hours are 9:00AM to 5:00PM, and admission is $6.00. You can check Steamtown for more info.

While I'm not normally a "morning person", 9:00AM is do-able. Misngth

For those who've not been there before, there is also an operating freight railroad just outside of the park gates, with, when I was there last October, lots of Alco action:
[Image: Pennsylvaniatripphotos007.jpg]

[Image: Pennsylvaniatripphotos008.jpg]

Wayne
Just remember, at steamtown if you park in their, lot it closes at 5pm. if your stuck in there after 5 you have to leave your car there.

However, I believe you can park in the mall parking lot and walk across the bridge.
Tom

Model Conrail

I'm not a morning person, either. So 9-9:30 would be fine, except if you all wanted to meet somewhere else, first, for a cuppa java, that's okay, too! I just need my AM glucose fix! I'm gettin' really gung-ho!!! 2285_ 2285_ 2285_
I only know what I know, and I don't understand very much of it, either.
Member: AEA, American Legion, Lions Club International
Motto: "Essayons"
Mister Nutbar and I were discussing the get-together this evening and were wondering if those of us who are staying in town (we plan to arrive sometime Friday) have a particular place in mind, or is it every man for himself? Goldth And just who is staying, and who's truly there on a day-trip?

We're spending a couple of days near Schenley, in western PA., then making a stop at Montoursville (Bowser) during our drive to Scranton.
We're both really looking forward to this trip. Thumbsup Thumbsup

Wayne
I'll be there just for the day. I can get there by 9. Perhaps after the park closes at 5 we can get dinner somewhere. Steamtown is a place I figured I'd visit with my wife one day, but this will be so much better. Ohter folk into it too! My wife would be a trooper, but it wouldn't be the same!

Gary
Perhaps someone with personal knowledge of the Mall at Steamtown could suggest a spot at which we could meet, either in the parking lot or within the Mall itself. With the big day less than two weeks away, we need to get organised as soon as possible, as some of us are coming from some distance and will be "on the road" well in advance of the 13th.

Looking forward to renewing acquaintances, Gary. Thumbsup

Wayne
Ok - I'll make the decision Smile Smile Lord knows Don & I are used to it here Big Grin Big Grin

Take a look see here:
http://www.the-gauge.net/magazine/Meetingplace.jpg

The Steamtown parking Lot near the "Big Blue" dot.. Meet at the DOT!!!! Near T1 # 2121
That way we have a definitive set place.. Smile When we break for lunch, we'll all move our vehicles over the the Mall parking Lot Smile Smile

Now, Here's where I got the above pic from Smile
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.the-gauge.net/magazine/mall.pdf">http://www.the-gauge.net/magazine/mall.pdf</a><!-- m -->
(Right click and save link as)

It's a PDF file of Steamtown and the mall - 3 pages - so there's way too much info.. The mall opens at 10 am, so if we meet at 9 - the mall will be closed, no matter where we meet, so we'll have to make our way to Steamtown somehow... Smile But coming back, i gather we can use the bridge and get something to eat in th mall.... If we don't want "fast food" see my next post Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???