Our 2014 three-way structure challenge
Ralph, I like that idea. I remember back in the early 90s in model railroader they had an article about building modern glass skyscrapers out of plexiglass. You first build a plexiglass box, then stick horizontal rows of tape to section off the floors, then vertical rows of cardstock or styrene to make the columns. Pretty cheap and quick. I built a small building that way and it came out okay.
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
I was impressed by that article too! It prompted me to build these two background structures using the techniques escribed.

[Image: 003_zps9fa69fab.jpg]

[Image: 004_zps2827b7ba.jpg]
AF350 Wrote:OK,

a quick question, if you have a structure kit in HO but want to build one in a larger scale but loosely based on the on the kit is that the same as building from a picture? And no I will not use a hi-tech tool such as a 3D printer it would be an unfair advantage.

If this would be scratch building I will give it a try Smile

Yup, that has to be scratchbuilding. I put you on the list....
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
Am I too late to enter?
Torrington, Ct.
NARA Member #87
I went to my Happy Place, but it was closed for renovations.
eightyeightfan1 Wrote:Am I too late to enter?

Not at all, Sept 1 would be waaaayyyy to late, but anytime in between would be just fine.... Thumbsup

Can we put you down for something????
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
As fun as this looks I already have more challenges than I can handle,Two N scale layouts,one On30 layout and one Z scale layout and more loco and freightcar projects in Z,N,HO,&On30 than any sane man could handle ( good thing I ain't sane :mrgreen: )

I will be watching this though,never know where you might find a useful idea,or a better way of doing something. Thumbsup
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
"The Ol Furrball"

"I'm old school,I still believe in respect"
Catt Wrote:As fun as this looks I already have more challenges than I can handle,Two N scale layouts,one On30 layout and one Z scale layout and more loco and freightcar projects in Z,N,HO,&On30 than any sane man could handle ( good thing I ain't sane :mrgreen: )

I will be watching this though,never know where you might find a useful idea,or a better way of doing something. Thumbsup

Yup, I can understand, a lot of us have a full plate and adding to it just doesn't work. I'm planning on jumping in soon, but I've got some other projects I've got to finish first. I've been converting a bunch of A/V stuff and making DVD's. I've got some stuff that's probably 60 years old up to preset day that includes, photos, negs, slides, 8MM, VCR and camcorder videos. I've been meaning to do this a long time now, but things like the 8MM movies are getting brittle and breaking and I'd hate to lose any of it.

I have a kit I'd like to build and a kitbash also, so I hope to get started on one or the other soon. 2285_
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Catt Wrote:As fun as this looks I already have more challenges than I can handle,Two N scale layouts,one On30 layout and one Z scale layout and more loco and freightcar projects in Z,N,HO,&On30 than any sane man could handle ( good thing I ain't sane :mrgreen: )

Interesting......I just got here from a SciFi modeler's forum I follow, and my last post there was on a thread titled:
How many years do you have left?, where members were listing how many projects they had going on, or kits in their "stash", and when or if they would be around long enough to complete them. Icon_twisted Wink Big Grin
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
OK folks, we're into the home stretch, we have but one week to finish our challenge projects. Rule #5 says:
Quote:The contest will begin on Memorial Day, May 26, and end on Labor Day, September 1. That gives us all a few days to prepare and a bit over three months to actually work on and complete the projects.

Don't ask if that means 8AM in your time zone, or midnight at mine. If you need an extra few hours to finish, you're cutting it way too close. I'll tell you what, I'll give you right up to midnight PDT, September 1 to finish, any posts after that will not count. Just don't expect me to be at my computer at that time with a stopwatch in hand. Just get it done on time.

Now, if you can't finish, I'm going to leave it up to the voters to decide. Everyone that has entered any of the three challenges and has done something on their challenge will be listed on the voting list. This is a complex challenge and anyone that has put any effort into it deserves to be recognized. So, after all this, the bottom line is, get your latest photos in by the deadline, complete or not.....
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Just a reminder to the "voters", my "Continuation" ( that schooner is finished now ) is not part of the contest,
The lobster pound, is my only entry.
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Just a reminder, tomorrow at midnight, PDT is the last time for posting progress photos in this challenge. You can post after that, they just won't count. Even if you're not finished, please post an up-to-date photo of where you are. I've not checked to see, but everyone may be finished by now, if so, great.... If not, you will still be listed in the voting poll...
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Wow, I better get started! Eek Icon_lol
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Tyson Rayles Wrote:Wow, I better get started! Eek Icon_lol

Gee Mike, I think you missed the last train to Yuma.... We are calling this challenge done, done and done... I want to thank all of you that entered for making this an interesting and fun challenge. At this point, it'll take me a while to sort things out and put together a voting poll. This is a very busy week for us and sorting thing out takes a while, so I may not be able to open the voting poll until this weekend. So please be patient, we will get it done.... Thumbsup
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
darn it, yet another challenge I totally missed out on. I always seem to miss the announcements, and always find out about these challenges here once they are well on their way and new posts start to appear from contest entries etc…..

I don't know how I miss it every time…….. I normally always go to 'unread posts' but seem to miss the challenges there. I think they should be 'glued' at the top of the page, so I don't overlook them..

Next challenge then maybe (next year?) , and hopefully it's a topic I have a use for… This one would have been… sigh... Sad :cry:

Mailing lists perhaps for those members who sign up for it, and then get a message that a new challenge is announced?
Be sure to visit my model railroad blog at <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.namrr.blogspot.com">http://www.namrr.blogspot.com</a><!-- m -->
torikoos Wrote:darn it, yet another challenge I totally missed out on. I always seem to miss the announcements, and always find out about these challenges here once they are well on their way and new posts start to appear from contest entries etc…..

I don't know how I miss it every time…….. I normally always go to 'unread posts' but seem to miss the challenges there. I think they should be 'glued' at the top of the page, so I don't overlook them..

Next challenge then maybe (next year?) , and hopefully it's a topic I have a use for… This one would have been… sigh... Sad :cry:

Mailing lists perhaps for those members who sign up for it, and then get a message that a new challenge is announced?

That's a good thought, but the challenge threads are always "sticky", and posted well in advance of any start dates. I always mention them many times in the "Hobo's camp" thread as well, and sometimes, "bump" the announcement and registrations threads just as a reminder. One thing, they should always appear in the "unread posts", but you could also check in "active topics" as well.

We will try to start another challenge before the end of the year, so keep your eye out for any announcements. Sorry that you missed this challenge though.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and